Try 5 Careers to
Change the World
July 23 - 27, 2018
9:30am - 4:00pm
Latham Hopkins Gatehouse
555 Ravenswood Ave
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Medical advancements, educational tools, equitable information access, activism, global citizenship, environmentalism... follow your interests and learn what it would be like to work in a career that helps to change the world.
Try out 5 roles that change the world for the better. Gain hands-on project work experience and use Q&A sessions with speakers to envision yourself working for a better world--and find out if you like what you see.
DEVELOP REAL-WORLD SKILLS
- Experience real-world projects across 5 different careers and meet mentors in each role
- Develop real-world skills like teamwork, public speaking, creative thinking, decisiveness, and proactive outreach
- Bring home a portfolio of projects and next steps for exploring further
IMAGINE YOURSELF IN 5 CAREERS
You will be challenged to prototype your life in fields such as:
- Health care
FINISH THE PROGRAM WITH
- Your plan for the future with next steps
- An idea of what you might want to be
- Your portfolio of 10 career projects
- Your reflections on each of 10 careers
- Professional emailing experience
- Storytelling experience
- Interviewing experience
- The Career Prototyping framework
- A guide for meeting mentors
- Connections to 5+ guest speakers
- A community of like-minded students
- 9:30am - Arrival and Breakfast
- 10:00am - How to Find Mentors Talk
- 10:30am - Project Work Time
- 12pm - Speaker Preparation
- 12:30pm - Lunch
- 1:30pm - Project Presentations
- 2pm - Guest Speaker and Q & A
- 3:15pm - Reflections & Interest Scoring
- 4:00pm - End
ABOUT THE SUMMER PROGRAM
Lighthouse Summer Programs are based on the principles of life design popularized by Stanford University d.school professors Bill Burnett and Dave Evans. We bring design thinking and future life prototyping methodologies to the high school level, through career exploration prototyping that aims to decrease students' anxiety about the future, build their confidence through hands-on experience, and help them find a course of study that fits their interests.
Each day of the summer program, Lighthouse students try a new career or two: they work on a real project from that field and meet a hand-picked speaker to ask about their experience. Students will finish with real-world experience across several different careers, a new network of peers and professionals, and a framework for exploring additional careers.
We encourage students to explore, imagine, and experiment. We teach students to be decisive, proactive, and creative in planning for the future. Few of us land in the perfect career on our first try, so we prepare students with "career prototyping" skills so they can continue to explore new career paths for years to come.
MEET MENTORS AND GUEST SPEAKERS FROM TECH COMPANIES LIKE
WHAT DO ALUMNI SAY?
Hear from more the students from the 2017 Summer Program here.
"It was one of the best educational experiences I've ever had."
2017 Summer Program
"I learned the importance of trying new things."
2017 Summer Program
MEET THE LEAD INSTRUCTOR
Samantha Quist is the Founder of Lighthouse. Sam graduated from Stanford, worked at Google, and founded several companies. She's most passionate about helping young people globally learn how to navigate the future. Get to know Sam here.
$975 / student.
Includes lunch and materials.
Ask about before and after care.
Scholarships for financial need available.
Tuition due upon acceptance to reserve your spot in the program.
75% refund for cancellations by 5/15.
ASK US ANYTHING
Want to know more? Email us at email@example.com or call us at (650) 468-0804.