Experience 5 Careers in 5 Days
FIND OUT HOW YOUR SKILLS MATCH TO TECH CAREERS
Imagine yourself as a product manager. Or a graphic designer. Or a sales strategist. Can you envision it?
Lighthouse Summer Programs are based on the principles of life design recently popularized by Stanford University d.school professors Bill Burnett and Dave Evans. We bring design thinking and future life prototyping methodologies to the high school level, specifically through career exploration prototyping projects that aim to decrease students' anxiety about the future, build their confidence through hands-on experience, and help them to find a course of study that fits their interests.
Each day, Lighthouse students try an authentic project from a new career field and meet with a hand-picked mentor who works in that role. Students will finish with real-world experience across several different careers, a new network of mentors, and a framework for exploring additional careers.
We encourage students to explore, imagine, and experiment. Few of us land in the perfect career on our first try, so we prepare students with "career prototyping" skills so they can continue to explore new career paths for years to come.
- By the end of our Summer Programs, students will have experienced real-world projects across several different tech careers and met with mentors in each of those career fields.
- Students will also have opportunities to practice other real-world skills like teamwork, public speaking, creative thinking, and relationship building.
- Most importantly, every student will bring home a framework for exploring other career ideas on their own.
- Five career journals
- A Lighthouse Career Prototyping Guide
- A resume template
- A cover letter template
- An Interviewing Best Practices guide
- A mentors list
Here's a rough schedule for an example day:
- 9:30am - Arrival and Breakfast
- 10:00am - Project Introduction
- 10:30am - Project Work Time
- 12pm - Mentorship Preparation
- 12:30pm - Lunch
- 1:30pm - Project Presentations
- 2pm - Mentorship and Q & A
- 3:15pm - Reflections
- 4:00pm - End
You can also check out the detailed program schedule.
Before and after care available.
Contact us with questions.
MENTORS AND GUEST SPEAKERS FROM TECH COMPANIES
July 24-28, 2017
A Day in the Life:
Designers and Creatives
Designed for students who enjoy creative projects, have diverse talents, and are curious about future career possibilities, this course guides students to prototype several creative careers in the tech industry by experiencing sample projects and joining ask-me-anything sessions with mentors from each role. This session can accommodate up to 14 students.
Mentors and speakers will include:
- Jess Lee (Sequoia Capital, Polyvore, Yahoo, Google)
- Carolyn Jaeger (Mozilla, Pandora)
- Grace Ko (Facebook, Polyvore)
- Liz LeCrone (eShares, Looksharp)
- Linda Jiang (Color Genomics)
- Andrew Chang (GoFundMe, LinkedIn, Google)
- Ishan Puri (Synocate)
Students will explore 5 creative roles in the tech industry:
- User Interface Designer
- Growth Marketer
- Brand Marketer
- Graphic Designer
- Product Manager / CEO
Historic Latham-Hopkins Gatehouse
555 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Ask about scholarships for students with financial need.
5 days from 9:30am to 4:00pm
2017 SUMMER REGISTRATIONS CLOSED