Careers for Entrepreneurial Thinkers
- The 10 x 10 Experience -
A videochat course
Entrepreneurs don't look for jobs. They create their own jobs. Try out 10 careers in 10 entrepreneurial fields, ranging from technology startup founder to independent financial advisor. Challenge yourself to be proactive, creative, and decisive as you imagine yourself starting a company.
Would you enjoy a career as an entrepreneur? Let's find out. Meets via videochat with Samantha Quist, the Founder of Lighthouse and a Stanford and Google alum.
DEVELOP REAL SKILLS
- Experience lightning-fast but real projects across 10 different careers
- Learn the "career prototyping" framework to explore further in the future
- Finish with a portfolio of projects and next steps for exploring further
TRY 10 CAREERS
You will be challenged to try out various entrepreneurial careers such as:
- Technology startup founder
- Small business owner
- Independent investment advisor
- and more
- 3:30pm - Join the videochat
- 3:35pm - Reflections from last session
- 3:40pm - Startup Founder project
- 3:50pm - Project reflection & scoring
- 3:55pm - Investment Advisor project
- 4:05pm - Project reflection & scoring
- 4:10pm - Mentor outreach exercise
- 4:25pm - Challenge for next week
- 4:30pm - Dismiss
FINISH THE PROGRAM WITH
- Your portfolio of 10 tech career projects
- Your interest scores for each career
- Professional emailing experience
- Storytelling experience
- The Career Prototyping framework
- A guide for meeting mentors
- A community of like-minded students
TRY OUT 10-MINUTE PROJECTS
What does a startup founder do? How about a small business owner? An independent investment advisor? What about other entrepreneurial careers?
One by one, learn about each of 10 different entrepreneurial careers and try out real projects from each role. Then score your interest in each job and learn to explore your favorites further.
LEARN HOW TO MEET ADVISORS
Our 10 x 10 programs educate students on how to identify and reach out to career mentors on their own so they can further their career exploration.
We challenge students to be proactive and give them the tools to take their career exploration into their own hands.
DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT TO BE
We challenge all students to make a decision--just for today--about what they would like to be when they grow up, then we educate them to accumulate experiences and information to help them enforce or change their decision in the future.
Our challenges and project experiences aren't for everyone, but they are great for students who enjoy fast-paced and hands-on styles of learning.
MEET YOUR Instructor / Mentor
Samantha Quist is the Founder of Lighthouse. She has been a professional marketing executive, software developer, startup founder, startup advisor, resume editor, and nonprofit program director. After graduating from Stanford University, Samantha joined Google in 2004 as a Product Marketing Manager. After founding a resume editing company, she led marketing at big data startup Gnip prior to its acquisition by Twitter. Samantha was Founder and CEO of Copywriter Central from its founding to acquisition, then became the Executive Director of Technovation, a global startup competition for high school students. She is currently Co-founder and Director of FFL Startup Accelerator. She resides in Menlo Park, California with her husband and two children. Samantha has been working with high school students for years as a technology mentor and guest speaker at technology conferences and in classrooms locally, nationally, and internationally. She occasionally blogs at www.samanthaquist.com.
Due upon acceptance to hold your spot
We look for students who are curious, open minded, and eager to explore
a T-shirt and notebook (U.S. only)