The Tech Career Half Marathon:
Try 13 Jobs in the Tech Industry
(in a single day)
Saturday, June 16, 2018
9:30am - 5:00pm
(Stanford / Google alum, Lighthouse founder)
TRY 13 JOBS IN A SINGLE DAY
Would you enjoy a career in technology? Let's find out.
Experience micro-projects in 13 different careers in the technology industry and imagine yourself working in each role. Score your own experiences and decide which field you would like to pursue for now. Learn how to create a plan for building on your interests, and use your project experiences in internship interviews.
Bring home a portfolio of projects, a career goal, and a framework for learning more and exploring other careers.
DEVELOP YOUR SKILLS
- Gain work experience. Try real projects in 13 jobs.
- Be proactive. Learn how to own your future.
- Be decisive. Decide a plan for your future.
- Be creative. Find new ways of doing things.
- Be introspective. Score your interest in each career.
- Abandon your perfectionism. Try new things.
- Practice teamwork. Collaborate with others.
- Practice ownership. Deliver independent projects.
- Practice leadership. From public speaking to visioning.
- Try everything. Because you don't know unless you try.
LEARN BY DOING
Try out 13 tech industry jobs:
- Startup CEO
- Head of Product
- Head of Marketing
- Head of Sales
- Head of Business Development
- Head of Customer Support
- Head of Legal
- Head of Customer Engagement
- Head of HR
- Head of Creative
FINISH THE PROGRAM WITH
- Your plan for the future with next steps
- An idea of what you might want to be
- Your portfolio of 10 career projects
- Your reflections on each of 10 careers
- Professional emailing experience
- Storytelling experience
- Interviewing experience
- The Career Prototyping framework
- A guide for meeting mentors
- Connections to 5+ guest speakers
- A community of like-minded students
- 9:30am - Arrival and Breakfast
- 10:00am - Introductions
- 10:15am - Micro-Project Work Time
- 12:00pm - Lunch
- 12:45pm - Internship Application Training
- 1:30pm - Micro-Project Work Time
- 3:00pm - Break
- 3:15pm - Speaker Panel (tech leaders)
- 4:00pm - Micro-Project Work Time
- 4:30pm - Create a Career Plan
- 4:45pm - Medals & Photos
- 5:00pm - End
THE PROGRAM PHILOSOPHY
Lighthouse Summer Programs are based on the principles of life design recently popularized by Stanford University d.school professors Bill Burnett and Dave Evans. We bring design thinking, project-based learning, and life prototyping methodologies to the high school level, through career exploration prototyping that aims to decrease students' anxiety about the future, build their confidence through hands-on experience, and help them find a course of study that fits their interests.
We encourage students to explore, imagine, and experiment. We teach students to be decisive, proactive, and creative in planning for the future. Most people don't land in the perfect career on our first try, so we prepare students with "career prototyping" skills so they can continue to explore new career paths for years to come.
MEET MENTORS AND GUEST SPEAKERS FROM TECH COMPANIES LIKE
WHAT DO ALUMNI SAY?
Hear from more the students from the 2017 Summer Program here.
"It was one of the best educational experiences I've ever had."
2017 Summer Program
"I learned the importance of trying new things."
2017 Summer Program
MEET THE LEAD INSTRUCTOR
Samantha Quist is the Founder of Lighthouse. Sam graduated from Stanford, worked at Google, and founded several companies. She's most passionate about helping young people globally learn how to navigate the future. Get to know Sam here.
$175 / student.
Includes lunch, materials, and a tshirt.
Scholarships for financial need available.
Now accepting applications!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.